||16th May 2012
Welcome to new member, Ncumisa Mhenqa. We hope to see you on the road soon.
Recent Race Feedback - Starling Plumbers 2-in-1
Thanks to Dave for the following feedback:
Highway did very well. Times and results were very mixed up so we all got good times.
Anyway these are the official results, although I only got some of the 10k:
Antoinette position 175 01:04:30 first lady (her actual time was 1.06)
Brigitte position 194 01:06:03 was actually about 6 minutes slower
Ray position 220 but time between 01:12:20 to 01:12:54 and was 3rd male overall
Dave 253 time 01:18:08 (actual time 1.23)
Linda 286 time 01:25:43
Lynn 287 time 01:25:43
Dee 288 time 01:26:03.
Running the 21.1 were Omega, Linda Feher, Roshini and Vivek. Walking the 21.1k were Pamela who was 3rd walker, and Vic and Susan.
Revised Results - Chiltern Ladies TT
The Highway B team was excluded from the original results published last week. Revised results below.
|Clubs on the Night-Walkers|
|1 ||PDAC ||A ||112-30 |
|2 ||Highway ||A ||114-07 |
|3 ||PDAC ||B ||124-37 |
|4 ||Highway ||B ||130-01 |
|5 ||Queensburgh ||A ||133-26 |
|6 ||Hillcrest ||A ||137-11|
Dates to Remember
|Sunday 20 May|
|Comrades Breakfast at Roses Coffee Shop, Kloof Village Mall. Please contact Lynn Burn before tomorrow evening at 5pm if you would like to attend. We have had no replies so far and this event may be cancelled due to lack of response.|
|Sunday 10 June||7-15km routes from Rochester Centre in Hillcrest, followed by breakfast at Oscars.|
|Sunday 17 June||8-12km routes from Suncoast Casino, with breakfast afterwards at the Wimpy.|
Is Your Body Fit To Run?
Runners have this misunderstanding that because we run, our legs are strong, and get stronger the more we run, says Coach Tom Nohilly.
'Without additional resistance training, however, over time your muscles detrain and can become weaker.' Daily stretching and frequent upper-body workouts are also important, yet are often overlooked. To find out if your overall fitness needs a boost, take these four tests. If you struggle with the moves, do the exercises on your rest days, gradually adding weight and/or repetitions. Work on stretching daily. And if you ace any, follow Nohilly’s advice to advance. Repeat the tests in six weeks for proof you’ve improved. Soon, you’ll be running better.
Test 1: Hamstring Flexibility
Using a stretching rope or looped towel, do a straight-leg hamstring stretch.
Try bringing leg up to 90 degrees.
Hold for several seconds, then switch legs.
How to improve:
If you couldn’t reach 90 degrees, repeat the stretch but without the rope.
Gently press the back of your leg toward your chest while keeping your leg straight.
Repeat twice on each side.
Better yet: Continue to perform the stretch daily.
Test 2: core stability
Try to do 20-plus consecutive sit-ups, with your abs doing all the work.
How to improve:
Bend knees 90 degrees, tuck in your chin, and flex forward to your knees, engaging your abs and leaving your hips and upper body out of it.
Do two sets of 10 to 20 reps.
Better yet: Extend your arms and legs for V sit-ups; do two sets of 10 reps.
Test 3: upper-body strength
Try for 10 push-ups (20 for men) with no sagging hips.
How to improve:
With a one- to four-kilogram dumbbell in each hand, stand with your arms bent and elbows at your hips.
Quickly alternate bringing fists to your chin for 10 seconds; repeat twice.
Better yet: Increase to 20 seconds.
Test 4: Leg strength
Lift leg 45 degrees in front; lower, without touching the floor.
Aim for 20 consecutive lifts.
How to improve:
Put foot down between reps and work up to 20 no-touch reps.
Once you can do that, add a 1kg ankle weight and do two sets of 20.
Better yet: Add a 2kg weight.
- Sometimes, when I look at my children, I say to myself, 'Lillian, you should have remained a virgin.'
- Lillian Carter (mother of Jimmy Carter)
- I had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: - 'No good in a bed, but fine against a wall.'
- Eleanor Roosevelt
- Last week, I stated this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister, and now wish to withdraw that statement.
- Mark Twain
- The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible.
- George Burns
- Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.
- Victor Borge
- Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain
- By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
- I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
- Groucho Marx
- My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she stops to breathe.
- Jimmy Durante
- I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.
- Zsa Zsa Gabor
- Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
- Alex Levine
- My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.
- Rodney Dangerfield
- Money can't buy you happiness. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
- Spike Milligan
- Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP.
- Joe Namath
- I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.
- Bob Hope
- I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
- W. C. Fields
- We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.
- Will Rogers
- Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.
- Winston Churchill
- Maybe it's true that life begins at fifty. But everything else starts to wear out, fall out, or spread out.
- Phyllis Diller
- By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.
- Billy Crystal
Thanks to Ours Sponsors
See you on the road this weekend